The Home of Sir Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diary of Yesterday

2 posters

Go down

Diary of Yesterday Empty Diary of Yesterday

Post  Joanna Moan Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:08 am

Diary of Yesterday

Story time was fantastic, I haven’t been read to for years, in fact I can’t remember the last time reading wasn’t something I did on the tube, bus, or at home in my own head. It made me think about how story telling is also an aural past time and how every day we tell our daily stories to other people, although mine aren’t as exciting as the Red Headed Thief! I love the drama of telling a story and the anticipation that can be conjured through language. I realised how important variation of tone, and volume is in changing the mood in the room. It is similar to acting, however on stage you also have, set, lighting, sound and actors to tell a story, so it’s much easier.

I really enjoyed retelling the story of the Red Headed Thief in pairs and as a class. I feel that we’re working together and supporting each other as a group. It’s a fun relaxed group to be in and I’m surprised at how at ease I feel talking in the group and how few times (relatively) that I’ve gone red, I always blush! I hate it! I have to admit though, I am feeling a bit anxious about being the ‘teacher’ for the first time, I don’t know whether to pick people by name to get contributions or to invite responses. I don’t want to get engrossed in making notes and not follow the conversation. I’m sure by writing this I’ll be the next one to be picked on!

The word game activity was brilliant. I love board games where you have to guess the celebrity, play, book, or word without saying it. I get really into it; Cranium is my all time favourite! Although I fear that I did over complicate my explanations and I couldn’t help thinking that we (Alice and I) only guessed the words because we were familiar with the actual word and it’s meaning. It must be much harder for children, how confused they must be for much of their early lives, or is it just accepted? I know that when I’m in a country which doesn’t speak English I find it incredibly frustrating not being able to communicate and I get really flustered when I’m asked questions and I don’t understand.

The course is making me think about things I take for granted, assumed knowledge. When did I learn that you don’t write as you speak? How did I ever grasp language? It’s also making me think about my background and how experiences shape who I am and how I learn. All of the activities link directly to the classroom and are not only developing my understanding of language but are also building my toolbox for later lessons.

Joanna Moan

Back to top Go down

Diary of Yesterday Empty Re: Diary of Yesterday

Post  Lynziloo Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:41 am

What you said about being in another country where you don't speak the language made me laugh as it conjured up memories of my friend trying to explain, using gestures only, to a load of French waiters that she need the toilet! Bless.

Lynziloo

Back to top Go down