The Home of Sir Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pratiksha's reflective diary

Go down

Pratiksha's reflective diary Empty Pratiksha's reflective diary

Post  pratiksha1 Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:07 am

Reflective diary

Yesterday morning began very wet and dull. I walked into class worried I had not read everyone’s language stories and also very conscious that I sent my story so late (sorry Sir).
As everyone began walking in, it was a relief to hear other people were also behind with their reading. As I looked around the classroom I felt I really had begun to know my fellow course mates a lot better just from reading their stories. As we finished off our language posters and I read some more language stories I began to really appreciate the sheer depth of people’s language histories. I was in awe of everyone. Each and every story was amazing and very personal.
I love all the language posters, I haven’t done anything like that since I left school and it reminded me of how powerful creativity is in teaching.
The announcement of ‘story time’ was so unexpected. As I sat on the floor, Sir began his story and it transported me back in time to my school days as I used to gaze up in awe as my school teacher weaved a magical tale. The story of the ‘Red Headed Thief’ was such a fantastic tale though upon reflection quite violent too! I found re-creating the story very daunting – I ‘m not even sure I remember what I said. I wish I was more expressive like Jo and Fi – they really did make the story come alive – whereas I just rambled on anxiously, I don’t even remember what I said. I’m so glad the recording didn’t work as I hate the sound of my voice and really didn’t want a reminder of my awful narration.
It was really fascinating to discuss the transcription of the story by a young girl – it was interesting how the majority of us assumed that it was a boy. Children write as they speak and their language is so powerful and descriptive.
The discussion of the different English language tasks was really interesting, especially the exploration of names, meanings and origins especially since I’ve always resented my name. I think it is a great activity which the whole class can get involved in and have fun with.
The last exercise was also very challenging and I found it hard trying to guess the real word using adult speak, let alone the language of a 3 year old.
As the discussion moved onto language acquisition and the many ways in which we learn, I found myself completely engrossed and keen to learn more.
I have thoroughly enjoyed every class so far and I can’t wait to learn more. It leaves me excited about what ‘Sir’ will ask us to do next and what I will discover from it.
I’m left with the exciting possibility of a classroom of children who are equally as enthusiastic about English and learning as I am.

pratiksha1

Back to top Go down