The Home of Sir Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teaching Ideas

2 posters

Go down

Teaching Ideas Empty Teaching Ideas

Post  Venetia Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:15 am

Re-reading the Pardoner's Tale with all the translations and footnotes has really helped me to assimilate the story and that coupled with the knowledge I obtained from reading 'Death of a Salesman' has made me feel a lot not more confident about Chaucer, especially as I had never really looked at any of his work until the start of this course. I didn't expect this sort of literature to be so easily brought to life, and I feel that with a bit more thought, advice and experience I would be happy to start teaching the Chaucer, but I'm still not sure if I'd feel really comfortable teaching it to kids until post-16. This is due to a number of reasons: firstly, I'm just not sure that kids who haven't made the choice to study English (ie. for A-Level) would necessarily appreciate the reasons for studying something that they may arguably deem archaic/old-fashioned/pointless; secondly, there are some gritty issues involved that I guess I would feel a little uncomfortable broaching with kids that might not have the maturity to deal with them eg. homosexuality/transgender - I really don't mean to be patronising in that last statement, but 18 year-old boys struggled to keep a straight face when I was teaching them about transgender issues during an A-Level Psychology class, and that doesn't really bode well for students that are younger than them. However, I am aware that these 'issues' are becoming more acceptible/acknowledged and therefore it may be progressively 'easier' to broach them...

The Wif of Bath's Tale really intreagues me (especially as I have vague recollections of Dawn French portraying her in a BBC adaptation..?) and I really loved the activity that compared the teachings of 'The Church Fathers' with her views on feminism. There are so many cross-curricular activities that surround this topic eg. RE and history - and I would really like to discuss it with teachers in this department to see what comprehensive links can be made.

Now I'm off to catch the last few rays...enjoy people!!

Venetia

Back to top Go down

Teaching Ideas Empty Re: Teaching Ideas

Post  Admin Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:03 pm

Interesting - if brief - start. Thanks for setting the site up.

Admin
Admin

https://thehomeofsir.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down