The Home of Sir Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does it tell you about teaching English?

Go down

What does it tell you about teaching English? Empty What does it tell you about teaching English?

Post  pratiksha1 Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:54 pm

The issues relating to the English language and teaching of it.

Overall, I found all three readings difficult to understand, especially Swift.

I found Johnson’s preface the most insightful and I was surprised at his insight into the constantly evolving nature of the English language. Significantly, he states the invention of the dictionary will not ‘fix’ the English language nor stop it from evolving. I like the analogy to life itself and how it cannot remain immortal or stay immune from “corruption and decay.”

Johnson highlights that language is changed by communications made through international trade and commerce and also through internal causes, as society becomes more sophisticated through the arts and education. With the invention of the internet and other forms of multimedia communication it is clear that this now more relevant than ever before. It could even be argued that today there is another ‘computer speak’ language used to communicate and this transcends (to a certain degree) all languages. Johnson powerfully describes how language is linked with culture and tradition, so as society slowly “shifts opinions,” customs and traditions “perish” language also suffers. Reflecting back on our journey through the English language I have developed an appreciation of how both the sound and spelling of words have changed significantly through the centuries and will keep doing so as we move forward into the future. Perversely in a world of abbreviated ‘text’ speak we seem to be moving towards a language of code and loss of vowels as sounds dominate the language. Johnson advocates allowing new words to develop but does not agree that old words should not be allowed to become obsolete.

I found most of Swift’s proposal to be full of words but very little meaning, or that his meaning was lost in his many words perhaps? – A great example of Orwell’s point. Swift’s tracing of the English language however is insightful as he examines the influences of Latin, French and the Saxons whilst constantly reiterating the superiority of English.

Swift is very harsh towards the development of new words and their incorporation into the language as he describes how “Dunces of Figure” and poets have both contributed to the “spoiling of the English tongue”. He then attacks the demise of pronunciation and how a “foolish opinion” of spelling words phonetically destroys the Etymology of the language. Swift advocates setting up a committee of sorts to imitate the French and set up rules aimed at “ascertaining and fixing our Language forever” as Swift is of the opinion that without this English will change for the worse.
After reading Orwell I find myself being mindful about using clichéd language in my writing and find myself wondering just how much of my own writing and media is full of them too.

Orwell also seems to begin by agreeing with the general consensus that the decay of the English language is inevitable and underlying this is the belief that “language is a natural growth and not an instrument which we shape for our own purposes.” It is a self fulfilling prophecy, but he too suggests that this process is reversible. He argues you should take time to correct and stop those bad habits to avoid the spread of them through imitation.

Orwell attacks 5 pieces of writing as being “stale and ...”lack of precision...” Meaning is not expressed, or in doing so, meaning is lost in the words, or there is indifference with the author. Words seem to hamper the meaning or expression being made. He is already pointing to the use of clichéd turns of phrase and coined terms which are “tacked together” like “prefabricated henhouses” – an example of the very point he is trying to put across. I love the way Orwell is conscious of his own use of clichés acknowledges the double standard in his own writing and illustrating just how much they have become part of everyday language.

Orwell also says so many metaphors are used incorrectly or out of context or have lost their original meaning – e.g. example of anvil and hammer and again this is very evident in the media today. However, I would argue that these clichés are still relevant and sometimes still appropriate they are certainly used in tabloid headlines to catch the attention of potential customers.

I agree with Orwell’s view of modern day writing consisting of “gumming together longs strips of words” rather than formed to make a point, “words and meaning have almost parted company” – is this metaphorical too? All three writings reveal a great deal about the English language. There is a general agreement amongst all three that English has and will evolve over time.

What does it tell you about teaching English? [/b]

Teaching English should similarly operate on an evolving basis; to be aware and recognise the influence of external factors such as cultural diversity and the influence of the media and internet on language today.

Orwell’s essay has made me realise that metaphors are a part of everyday speak and not just part of a classroom poetry lesson.
As Orwell points to the clichés which he believes have been exhausted suggests that there is a need to teach children to be imaginative and creative with their writing and poetry. This will encourage the sort of atypical writing and clashes of images like the ‘Fascist octopus’ that Orwell suggests are missing from the English language today.

I also agree with the rules stated by Orwell, particularly rule iii. Using the active rather than the passive is the rule incorporated certainly flagged up by the grammar rules of Microsoft office and other computer programs! Generally though I think Orwell is advocating the need to use clear English and to always get across the meaning, although most English students (I assume) enjoy using long words but only when they fit in with the context of the sentence and still make sense rather than thesaurify (a new word?) the whole sentence.

[u]

pratiksha1

Back to top Go down