The Home of Sir Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Developments of the English Language

Go down

The Developments of the English Language Empty The Developments of the English Language

Post  angiehirst Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:50 am

The Developments of the English Language

Simply through reading these few extracts the evidence that English is an evolving becomes astonishingly clear. As Groves (1993) states ‘Words have always changed meaning’ and I agree that with her when she follows this comment with her desire to ‘keep an enormous variety going’ within the English language. The vast and often entertaining differences, between this country’s regional dialects is what gives the English Language its charm! ‘Linguistics [in this case,] is about how English is, not how it aught to be.

Prof Jean Aitcheson’s study of how we are using language and why, is an apt one, However it seems that the question of whether or not it is changing has already been answered. Groves uses the example of the word ‘Dipstick’ arguing that although this may be perceived as a rare word, even an 11 year old new it as they had heard it on TV. It’s is not stated when Atchison’s research was carried out but the article was published in 1993 and so is relatively resent. Between 1993 and 2009 there have been huge advancements within media and information technologies making the world smaller; bridging the gaps between cultures and in doing so, introducing new words into the English language. Some of these words will inevitable be favoured by the youth of today as others will slowly but surely die out. The word ‘Dipstick’ now, even to me, seems slightly old fashioned, with words such as ‘gay boy’ or ‘feisty’ seeming to be the preferred insults between my nephews and the kids in my flats!

Reading the Preface of Johnson’s Dictionary (1755) I was really surprised by his positive approach towards language change. I enjoyed reading the poetic way in which he compares the laughable idea of an ‘elixir’ which would ‘promise to prolong life’, with the notion that his dictionary may ‘preserve words and phrases from mutability’. I though that paragraph put his point across superbly! I feel in this day and age, it certainly puts to shame the ideas of Puttenham (1589); or rather Jonson’s preface acts as an early exemplar of the advances within linguistically understanding.

I found Johnson’s argument that language change would often come about through the influence’s of the upper classes, arguing that ‘busied unlearned men’ would only have knowledge of ‘such words as common use requires’. This is a fascinating idea, especially as it is so contrary to the fact that those who call for a ‘fix on rules’ (Swift, J 1712) within the English Language are those of the upper classes themselves.

I found it almost humorous reading Puttenham’s description of the ‘vulgarity’ in which he perceived the English language. How ironic that it is now viewed as an ‘international language’, the most commonly spoken language in the world! It seems strange now that he was to pinpoint one dialect to be the superior dialect of the English Language and what is even more shocking is that the same dialect is still seen as superior today.

Swift’s idea of somehow ‘improving’, or ‘correcting’ the English Language to develop ‘knowledge and politeness’ within the common people, still exists today. If it did not, then we would not be having this discussion. I feel that it important as English teachers to have this knowledge in order to understand the developments within pupil’s work. It is also important to understand that, essentially language is communication and to be able to communicate effectively you must know your audience. This is where I feel the development of a Standard English has its importance. Regardless of dialect, an English Speaker will understand simple, Standard English. However as a teacher it is important not only that your pupils understand you, but that you understand your pupils. For me, I feel that what I have taken away from gaining this little bit more knowledge about English language, is that it is ok to ask pupils what they mean and in turn, learn from them. Although I feel it is crucial for pupils to understand that the way they speak may not necessarily be wrong, I also feel that they need to understand the important role that Standard English, or just ‘clear speech’, may have when communicating with others. People are often judged on first impressions and the ability to communicate can determine an individual’s quality of life. Unfortunately within a capitalistic society how you speak can determine what job opportunities you may have, whether or not you can take out a bank loan or whether the government body at the other end of the phone takes you seriously. To quote Immily, the most well spoken of us all (excluding maybe Venetia), ‘My accent means money’!

angiehirst

Back to top Go down