The Home of Sir Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baby Magazine

Go down

Baby Magazine Empty Baby Magazine

Post  Jon Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:35 am

Dr. Jon...
Tells you how to raise children – this week: language

Me
eated biccie”
“Allgone goggie”
“Daddy brokened it”

These are just some of the types of things you might hear your child say. To you and me, though the meaning is clear, the grammar and the structure of the language is incorrect. Your child however, is only following rules that he or she has learnt elsewhere – and this is both logical and remarkable. The rate at which children acquire language is truly staggering –
an exciting journey for both baby and you.

However – your child won't acquire language without help from you. Research shows that while most children the world over learn language at a similar age, those that get left behind are those that lacked interaction at an early age.

Yes, your baby is well equipped to learn language. For example, did you know that even in the womb, a baby can distinguish between the human voice and other sounds? But without your help and encouragement, this language potential will not be fully realised. So why not take part in this remarkable process – it is never a bad time to interact with your child, from conception to when they are all grown up!

What can I do?
Many parents become concerned by “mistakes” in their children's language. They may view phrases such as “me want” as simplistic and incorrect, or they worry whether or not they should correct their child. But- when you consider the tiny amount of time children have to learn all the sounds to make the phrase and to grasp the meaning, you begin to realise what children are achieving. Of course, you do not want your child to grow up using only two-word phrases – and this is where you come in. Rather than pour scorn over the simple language, why not simply reply: “Oh, you would like one of those would you?”. That
way, you are teaching the correct language use, and more importantly, interacting with your child.
This business of interaction is crucial. Imagine you have moved to a new country, but can't speak a word of the language. It won't matter how many books you read, you won't learn the language properly unless people talk to you clearly
and carefully. It is the same for our babies. The more they experience interaction, the more they will learn to respond to it. It
will also bring you and your baby closer together.

Why is language important?
Language is crucial toyour baby's development and future. Children begin school at a veryyoung age, and without good communication skills they miss out onlearning social skills with other pupils and teachers. It then
becomes extremely difficult to catch up, in the ensuing years. Good language skills also mean your child has better overall brain power.

Do I have anything to be afraid of?
Not at all! As long as we interact with children at every opportunity, and are enthusiastic about their development, they will do the rest themselves, and you can sit back and enjoy the ride!

Last edited by jonw on Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : auto format is pure evil)

Jon

Back to top Go down