The Home of Sir Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reflections on Chaucer

2 posters

Go down

Reflections on Chaucer Empty Reflections on Chaucer

Post  Alice Walker Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:53 am

Reflections on Chaucer

Until quite recently I had always felt quite pleased that I had got through an entire school career without having to encounter Chaucer. I remember pitying the English sets that had to study The Canterbury Tales and feeling quietly smug that I was studying a text I could actually understand.

To a certain degree this prejudice still remains, and despite enjoying my familiarisation with the first English novelist, I am still not bowled over with enthusiasm for him. But fear not, I am determined to develop some love for this man, or at least enough knowledge so justify my dislike, and therefore am awaiting my copy of The Canterbury Tales and a wet weekend!

In the meantime, I can honestly say that I have a greater appreciation of him than I had last week. I was amazed at how comfortable I was reading The pardoner, his prologue, and his Tale. (despite trying to read much of it in iambic pentameter – damn Shakespeare has clearly taken over!)

Pearsall’s article also helped me consider different speculations as to the character of the Pardoner, and in particular I developed sympathy towards him. Although I am aware that it is unproved, the idea of the Pardoner as a eunuch or homosexual, behaving only as he does because he is desperate for acceptance, does add another layer to his outwardly superficial character.

The reason why Canterbury Tales is interesting is that it is about people. Not only does it give a seemingly objective description of the characters, it allows the reader to watch each character’s reaction and listen to their tales. We are able to view, analyse, enjoy and judge them.

Altogether, I found the classroom activities rather limiting and dull. There is surely more that can be done with this text then getting students to read extracts/ articles and answer questions. It is the responsibility of the teacher to help to bring these stories back to life, and simple translation activities will struggle to inspire even the most avid student.

I agree that it is important for students to be able to hear/ read CT aloud and that the Talk like a pilgrim worksheet would aid their understanding of the language. However, I believe that this would be more successfully undertaken as an interactive class activity then getting ever child to translate entire passages.

I liked the worksheet How would the Wife of Bath debate the church fathers?, (although I would change it’s layout before using it with a class). The questions opened up her character and allowed for differentiation. The issue of her controversy and opinions on marriage could lead to an interesting debate, although some further historical reading on marriage would be necessary. It would be interesting to do a comparison with the attitudes of Wife of Bath, the church at the time and modern day opinions on marriage.

There is, however, much more teachers can do to engage pupils in The Canterbury Tales, I’m just not sure what it is… yet!

Alice Walker

Back to top Go down

Reflections on Chaucer Empty Re: Reflections on Chaucer

Post  Admin Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:04 pm

Let us know when you are sure...
(ps it's not a novel; partly cos they aren't invented for 400 more years and partly cos it's in verse)

Admin
Admin

https://thehomeofsir.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down