The Home of Sir Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Angela's reflections

2 posters

Go down

Angela's reflections Empty Angela's reflections

Post  Admin Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:30 pm

Reflective Diary 7th October 2008

The development of language throughout life is something which, judging by personal experience, could be addressed further in schools. By looking at the difference between spoken and written literature, although some differences may be first perceived as obvious, only by listening back and having a direct comparison of the two did all the more subtle differences stand out. What I found particularly interesting when the group recited The Red Headed Thief was that although all were asked to re-tell the story as it was heard, every student could not hep but add some element of individuality. This was shown either through physicality’s or gestures, tone of voice or even small adjustments to the story. For example Venetia refereed to the ‘kitchen knife’ as a ‘cleaver’ where as another member of the group referred to it ‘machete’. Near the begging of the story the young women holding a baby was referred to by one student as ‘a mother holding her baby’.
These personal perceptions verbalised during the stories recital show that spoken literature can in effect become a game of Chinese’s whispers. The repetition within the tale itself becomes crucial to keeping the story together. This aspect of spoken literature was something that had never occurred to me prior to the lesson. On reflection these repetitions are clearly prevalent, often through the speaker’s tone of voice. One could almost describe this observation as the ability to physically see the story tellers thought processes, the instant recognition reassuringly pin pointing there place in the text.

Speech in early child development has always a subject of interest to me. The three stages of child development particularly grabbed may attention as something and something I am certain to look into in the near future. Looking at my own language story, along with those of others in the group, allowed me to realise the complexity involved in one of our most natural senses, one commonly taken for granted.
A characteristic which has really baffled me over the past few years is the reservation which many English people hold towards learning another language. English is a very international language. Therefore people world wide often speak English as a second third language where as if one is brought up with English as their mother tongue it is often the only language he or she would ever fluently speak. Being English and yet only ever having lived in England for 6 years it would be expected that I could speak at least one other language to a reasonable standard. However because all those around me could already speak English I regrettably never felt the need to learn another tongue. However I believe that had there been a greater connection between foreign languages, English and culture within English Curriculum (by which all my school years where directed) I would have developed a more keen interest in language. More importantly, I would not hold the trepidations towards learning languages which many British people hold today.

Admin
Admin

https://thehomeofsir.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Angela's reflections Empty Re: Angela's reflections

Post  Alice Walker Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:45 pm

I love your description of spoken English being like chinese whispers. Such a good way of describing the adaptations we all made when telling the story.

Alice Walker

Back to top Go down