The Home of Sir Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

poetry reading

Go down

poetry reading Empty poetry reading

Post  angiehirst Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:50 am

Suzi Clipson-Boyles, argues that people mistake poetry as ‘exclusively academic’. I feel this statement rings significantly true, Many people who would happily pick up a book and read for pleasure have often not have read a poetry anthology, or book of poems out of their school years. I agree with the fact this is largely due to the choice of poetry that often takes precedence in the literacy national curriculum. There is often a huge emphasis put on literature centred on remote or historical subjects. This often means that children would not have gained the life experience and knowledge to understand the poem with enjoyment. Not only would they, at first glance, have no connection to the content, but they would probably also have difficulty understanding the language. This language barrier that often exists in the study of pre 19th century literature, I feel can often put children off from the start.

I agree with the fact that poetry exists all around us. The view that poetry is the ‘domain of the middle class’ I still very prevalent, however I feel that with the popularity of urban culture and ‘hip hop’ song lyrics are become recognised more and more as a form of poetry. Modern poets such as Benjamin Zephaniah are becoming more popular and encouraging young people to embrace a new form of poetry which they may find more appealing. From my previous experience at a secondary school it seemed as though poetry is being recognised as an art form more and more by young people. I think Boyles example of comparing poetry with art would be a good way of introducing poetry to children with an open mind.

Boyles ideas on how to conduct fun poetry lessons are useful. I particularly like her ideas on Rhyme and speed. They would be a fun way of grabbing the children’s attention having a fond memory to link to poetry would certainly enhance their fondness for poetry at a later date. I felt her statement that it is important to provide an audience for children’s work was good point and one that can be overlooked.

angiehirst

Back to top Go down