The Home of Sir Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The teaching of poetry/Blake lesson

3 posters

Go down

The teaching of poetry/Blake lesson Empty The teaching of poetry/Blake lesson

Post  Jon Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:51 pm

I think Suzi Clipson-Boyles summed up most people's concerns about poetry incredibly concisely, and made my own concerns seem so simple that the whole area of poetry immediately seemed less worrisome. Her assertion that it might be helpful to segregate the learning of poetry into 8 'learning links' proved true too, as it provided clarity and more simplicity in a subject that can seem limitless. This segregation also seems to be helpful in terms of teaching poetry - focusing on a particular area, for example does not seem so daunting. However I think the best part of the article is its discussion of the importance of 'play' in language. There are also some great lesson ideas to focus on, for example the description of 'list poems' is a clear way to advance children's powers of description.

"Hey Poetry!" is perhaps even clearer, as the practical guidance is offset by the work and real enthusiasm of Tom. It was interesting to think about the learning and reciting of poetry - I am baffled how/why Michael Rosen's poem about Jim the dog is so memorable! I like that 'Sean' taught "respect to the poet" so early - it stops pupils from feeling that they are engaged in something meaningless - and this again is offset by the fun of his lessons.

Blake

Of all the poems we looked at on...Friday, I would chose The School Boy to teach to a Y4 class. I think it offers a 'way in' to the other poems in Songs from Innocence and Experience - as it describes actions and emotions that most pupils will experience every day.
I would start the lesson by asking the class about their morning - what time did they get up, how was the weather, what did they have for breakfast, how did they get to school - and most importantly - how did they feel? The various responses could be scattered on the board as a spidergram, and then the poem would be shown to the pupils. This would allow the pupils to compare their experiences to the poet's. The pupils could then read the poem in sense-units, as this would provide a sense of rhythm, and the changing emotion in the poem. The pupils would then discuss in groups whether the poem is 'sad' or 'happy', or both. I would then show them the corresponding picture, and ask them the same question again. Finally, the pupils would write their own short poem about their morning, with an accompanying picture., with the initial spidergram on the board as a guide.

Jon

Back to top Go down

The teaching of poetry/Blake lesson Empty Re: The teaching of poetry/Blake lesson

Post  Venetia Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:22 pm

Your lesson sounds like lots of fun and makes poetry that bit more accessible.

Venetia

Back to top Go down

The teaching of poetry/Blake lesson Empty Re: The teaching of poetry/Blake lesson

Post  Immalee Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:19 pm

I agree, the idea of playing with language is a really good one.

Immalee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down